2

Dave Made It

September 19, 2010


So I meant to get this story posted like 2 weeks ago when it actually happened, but I've had to focus on a few other things until now.  I think Facebook informed the majority of you of the happenings when Dave tried to cross the border to get in to Canada...  I'm going to give the short story because it's late, but I promise it will still be enjoyable!

Dave left Minneapolis on a Saturday afternoon and planned to cross the border Sunday afternoon, a 14 hour trip.  He actually made it there a lot sooner and arrived on Sunday morning.  He Skyped me (remember, we're without cellphones!) from his table at a restaurant somewhere just off the border to tell me the exciting news that he was going to arrive ahead of schedule and get to relax a bit and get settled in before starting work on Monday.  He told me to get back on Skype in 2 hours and by then he'd be in his new home and getting things settled.  Two hours came...and I waited and waited...nothing for a while.  Finally he came on and was in another restaurant.  So I said, "wow, that was quick.  You all moved in?" thinking it was extremely amazing he got across the border, got all of his stuff moved in, then had the energy after that long trip to head out for food.

"Bad news," he said.  My stomach dropped.  I call him Mr. Optimistic you know..he's my rock, my foundation.  Whenever Dave says "bad news," that means it's realllly bad.  And after 2 years of marriage, I know to just ask for the details, "Don't sugar coat it" I said.."Just tell me the details cut and dry."  I immediately started thinking of all the worst possible scenarios.  He wrecked the car, lost his passport, what could possibly have gone wrong when he was so close?!

"The border patrol won't let me thru to Canada."  WHAT!?!  We both started freaking out.  I will spare the details of the string of papers Dave had to fill out and other things they required him to do, but basically the border didn't let him through because he was heading over as a student intern and they didn't want American Dave to take away any potential internship opportunities from Canadians.  Hence all the paperwork and hoopla to prove he was qualified to intern at the office he chose.

So over Skype we set up a game plan.  Contact Dr. B.J. and let him know Dave wouldn't be at work until who knows when.  Call the chiropractic boards and get the paperwork started.  And then we realized Dave was stranded in a small town in Michigan...great.  Thankfully he thought of the Bittners, a Maximized Living doctor and family who live outside of Detroit.  Dr. B.J. tracked down their info and Dave was able to get in touch with them.  They were such a blessing!  The Bittners took Dave in for 3 days, fed him and helped him get all that paperwork stuff finished.  They were so sweet and we are so grateful to be involved in such a gracious network of chiropractors in Maximized Living.

Come Tuesday, Dave had all of his forms and letters in order.  He made his second attempt to cross the border.  Of course his account was flagged from his last attempt, so they pulled him and searched him.  Dave said they even did thorough questioning for hours trying to see if his story checked out.  (As if someone could make up a story about being a chiropractic intern and going to London, Ontario for their last trimester and super excited to learn from one of the leading chiropractors in North America, plus all the other details of his life that he had to go thru.)  Finally, after hours of sitting in a room with the guards, Dave told me he finally started pleading for them to let him through.  The lady that was with him said, "Okay, I believe your story.  But this doesnt check out" (Referring to something he needed but didn't have or something like that.)  "I'll write it off for you." PRAISE THE LORD was all I could think when Dave FINALLY Skyped me late that night.  We were anticipating it to take just a couple hours to drive thru, have everything go smoothly, and be on his way to London.  Well we didn't expect the hours of questions, that's for sure.  Dave was exhausted, but happy to be at his new house in his new room ready to start what he came to Canada for.  Ahhhh.

As of this weekend, Dave has been gone three weeks and everything since crossing the border has been smooth sailing.  He's having an absolute BLAST up there, learning something new and great every day.  And everyone is taking care of him, Dr. B.J. and the office staff are phenomenal.

I'm going to throw up some pictures in random fashion from the last few weeks before Dave left.  These were the events we attended prior to him leaving.

We made ice cream for the Maximized Living Club potluck that we held at our apartment complex just the next week after Dave's surprise graduation party.
Here we are at Mike & Lori's wedding in Sault Ste Marie, Canada 2 weeks prior to Dave leaving for Canada.  We're on the bus here with the rest of the wedding party.
Lori and Mike, on the bus to escape the rain that stopped their outdoor picture session...we were on to the photography studio next.
Us with the beautiful bride!  This is toward the end of the night.
I love my husband.  I love dancing with my husband!  :)
Next was Dave's farewell night out with his coworkers at Bandana Chiropractic.  It was also on our 2 year anniversary.  We celebrated with some organic goat cheese cheesecake with pistachios and fresh berries.  It was delicious.
Here is the gang, we had a blast!  Thank you all for treating us to a fun night out!
The next big event was Suzy and Rob's wedding.  It was also the last day Dave was here, so it was an extra special day for us.  Unfortunately this is the only picture that semi turned out from their wedding...it's THE KISS! :)
Posing by the water awaiting the bride and groom's arrival.
Our besties, Mark and Nicole <3

And that's it from our lovely last month together in the Twin Cities!  And just a reminder to those who are still trying to call us:  we do not have cell phones anymore.  :)  I giggle every time I get an email from someone that says they've tried to call and it doens't go thru.  Try us on Skype!  drdaveschwartz or elisejschwartz

Thanks to everyone for making Dave's last few weeks in Minnesota a blast!  We both had a great time! :)

2 Responses to "Dave Made It"

Hable Says:

Elise! Dave!

In about a month, mt work adventures are sending me to Listowel, Ontario, and google maps tells me they are only an hour and thirty-eight minute drive away from London, Ontario. Oh the possibilities, I'll have to hit you both up on Skype.

Love,

Ben

Healing Cuisine by Elise Says:

BEN!! :D YES! SKYPE US OR EMAIL US!!!